Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, the latest Metroidvania from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night producer Koji Igarashi, has now sold over 1 million copies worldwide.
Igarashi released a video thanking players and fans around the world who have played the new IP, as well as all the people who have contributed to its development and publishing. The producer says this sales milestone was the overall goal set internally, letting development on additional free updates and DLC continue without the worry of having to break even.
Ritual of the Night will be receiving more free updates throughout the year, with some arriving over the next few weeks. In a blog post on the official website, a timeline lays out free updates scheduled for the rest of the year, including new game modes, playable characters, and more. You can read the full list of upcoming updates below.
In addition to free content updates, the post also mentions that Bloodstained will be getting paid DLC in the future, too. Developers ArtPlay and WayForward aren’t detailing yet what this might entail, but Igarashi says this sales milestone allows development to move into a second chapter, suggesting support for Ritual of the Night will continue for some time.
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night was received well by critics, especially as a spiritual successor to one of the most revered Castlevania games ever made. In GameSpot’s Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night review, critic Steve Watts scored the game an 8/10, saying, “With more flexible combat and level design that always beckons to check just one more room, Bloodstained shows that a modern Metroidvania can stand alongside its predecessors as an equal.”
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night Free DLC Update Plans
- Boss Revenge Mode
- Take control of one of four in-game bosses and use them to battle the heroes of Bloodstained!
- Chroma Wheel
- The salon is back in business with more options than ever for character customization, including hair, clothing, and skin color. Switch up your look with a true color selector and eliminating pre-set options previously available.
- VS Mode (Local/Online)
- A tense survival mode where players compete by indirectly attacking each another.
- Chaos Mode (Local/Online)
- A specialized boss rush for 1 or 2 players. The mode includes randomized drops and special sub goals that will grant more equipment when completed. Collect the best, drop the rest as you build power to defeat all the bosses!
- Classic Mode
- It’s Bloodstained 80s-style as Miriam faces off against a series of sub-bosses laid out across five harrowing stages and three difficulty levels.
- Playable Character
- Bloodstained’s 3rd playable character after Miriam and Zangetsu (It’s not Dominique).
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.
Source: Read Full Article
Boss Revenge and Chroma Wheel will launch on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on Tuesday, June 23rd, and Nintendo Switch in July